Monday, November 16, 2009

If I send an email from a fake account...?

created on my computer at home, but I send the email from a public computer, is there any way for the recipient to figure out that the faux email account was created on my computer (thus making the sender me)? It's not a harmful email or anything - I just want it to be anonymous. I already made up a fake account, and used another email account of mine (does not have my name on it) when the new account asked for another email addy. I plan to send the email from a public computer. I highly doubt the email will be traced, that they'll attempt to, but how likely is it that it will discovered that I sent it?

If I send an email from a fake account...?
A typical user will not know. However, there are many ways you could be caught if law enforcement gets involved. First, many public computer sites have security cameras. At your house, the fake email website could record IP (Internet protocol) address to anyone who logs into the fake email account. Law enforcement could ask the website to provide IP addresses of any computer that logs into the fake email if they suspect it is being used for illegal activity.


No comments:

Post a Comment