Monday, November 16, 2009

Email virus? (Different details)?

Today I received an email about the "POSTCARD" virus. At the bottom, it of course stated not to open anything titled "POSTCARD," even if sent by a friend, and to shut my computer down immediately, etc..





However, the circumstances under which I need to shut my computer down have never been clarified. From what I know of computers, you should be safe if you don't actually open it; it should be deleted. Shutting a system down upon receiving it seems rather pointless -- eventually, you'd have to start it again, anyhow.





So, what's the appropriate action when one receives a virus - containing email?








*Please note, the virus is NOT already on the computer, in this situation. Just viruses you receive in email that, because of senders or subjects, you can confirm as a virus.





**Also, this email was not spam. It's been confirmed by Norton and Snopes, and in addition, I know someone that received the virus of which it speaks.

Email virus? (Different details)?
DO NOT OPEN.


Delete immediately.


No comments:

Post a Comment