Thursday, November 19, 2009

Do I understand forwarded email correctly?

I have seen many people asking how to remove all previous recipients of a forwarded email. It always seemed trivial to me. Just edit and delete. I began to do further studying and found that forwarded email can be an attachment or inline depending on the email program. I have developed the answer below. Is it correct? As far as I can tell there is no indication of the chain of forwarding in the actual email header.


---------


When email is forwarded to someone the original message can appear in the body of the email or as an attachment. This is an option of the email program. Yahoo web email always forwards inline


When forwarded email is inline all you have to do it just select and delete any information you want removed, including past recipients of the mail.


If the forwarded email is a separate document then you have to copy all the information and paste it into a new email. You can then delete anything you want.

Do I understand forwarded email correctly?
Yep. AOL is particularly bad about this; the default is as attachment. Most AOL users would never think to go and change this and the AOL users I know are always sending jokes and stuff that are at least 4th-generation forwards. What a pain.


No comments:

Post a Comment